18 Jul 2015

Lost at Mak's Noodle

Yes, Mak's Noodle is the very famous and claims to be the nicest Wanton Noodle in Hong Kong, and it has finally opened its very first outlet in Singapore, Centrepoint.

I haven tried the one at Hong Kong, but I heard from friends that the Wanton is damn fresh. How to miss out the one in Singapore?

So me and a few friends arranged to meet up dinner at Mak's Noodle, we had 7 people so we waited like 30min. The place is quite small with not alot of tables. The queue was very long as expected, but lucky the people leave quite fast thus the queue was constantly moving.  

All the 7 of us has not tried the original one in Hong Kong, so we didn't know what to expect. Upon seated down, we started looking around at the food people ordered. The menu is very straight forward consisting 3 food types: Dry noodle, soup noodle and side dishes. Not wanting to crack the brain too much, all of us ordered either the dry or the soup wanton noodle. We didn't order any side dishes because the variety is not great.

Food served, and all of us gave the same 2 reactions.  
One: So small portion
Two: Not even a single thread of vege


I have to put a disclaimer that the followings are all me and my friends' comments after the meal. We are not trying to pin point on anything and we understand clearly that the taste of food is subjective to individual.

The noodle is indeed as mentioned, Springy and QQ. The dry noodle comes with the oyster sauce then you will mix them up for extra taste. I personally ordered this, to be frank, I am not impress at all.

One: My noodle is very salty, I think the chef poured the entire bowl of oyster sauce into my noodle. I kept pouring in my soup to dilute the noodle but still didn't seem to help. So you can imagine how much the chef 'hated' me.

Two: The noodle taste is quite strong. My friend gave this comment because I cannot taste anything else except my oyster sauce.

Three: I understand this is HK style, but I am still upset that my noodle don't come with a piece of kailan

Four: The wantons are quite nice but not great. Actually a few of us came to a conclusion that it tastes like the frozen wantons by CP. I feel so guilty pointing this out but that's our honest feedback.
Then my friend made a twist by admitting that CP actually made too nice frozen wanton, so their wantons are similar by chance. =S
Five: $7.90 is not very expensive because it's really famous, but I just don't find it worthy. 


Next, the soup noodle.
Yup, that's all. My first reaction to my friend when I first saw this noodle was: "Where is your wanton?" The wantons are actually hiding underneath the noodle. 

This bowl of noodle is actually smaller than my palm, quite a small portion. They serves the same small portion in HK as well, because they want to prevent the noodle from turning soggy. The shop focuses a lot more on quality than quantity. Same to the dry noodle, the portion is as small. 

One: Not very tasty, not much taste.  (Maybe they can add some oyster sauce in)

Two: The noodle taste is quite quite strong.

Three: $6.90 for this, hmmmmm, not worthy as well.  
-------------------------------------------

We finished quite fast and left. Where to? Elsewhere for food because stomach not filling. 


Mak’s Noodle
176 Orchard Road
The Centrepoint, #01-63/64
Singapore 238843
Nearest Station: Somerset

Tel: +65 6235 5778
Daily: 11am – 10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment